Friday, September 2, 2011

A New Creative Outlet

I've been playing Heroscape for a little over 4 years now.  Just this evening, as my 9- and 11-year-old sons were playing on one board and I was building another one for a game on Monday, my nearly 6-year-old son asked me about the first set I ever got.

It was a Marvel set.

I'd seen the Heroscape game in our local Wal-Mart, and it had looked interesting, but it was a lot of money to try something out that might be a bust.  A number of months later, we were on vacation and I saw the ROTV Master Set again along with a Marvel set.  My kids liked Marvel stuff, and it was a little cheaper than the ROTV, and we were on vacation (vacation always brings out a little overindulging in me), so we bought it.  The boys and I loved it so much, that a couple of days later, we went back and bought the ROTV Master Set, too.

And so began my love of (and my wife might say, "obsession with") Heroscape.  Since that vacation, almost every vacation since has included "Heroscape Hunting".  I would go to various Wal-Marts, Targets (until they stopped carrying Heroscape), toy stores, and comic/game/hobby stores, looking for any figures I didn't already have (or wanted more of).

I have lots of stories about finding good deals and great finds in various parts of the country, but I'll save those for later posts.

Some of the things you will see here will be my custom projects.

Heroscape has become my primary hobby.  Making custom figures, cards, and terrain is how I spend  some of my leisure time, and I would like to share some of what I've done and am doing with the rest of the world, too.  Maybe someone will find my work of value in this new Custom Era of Heroscape, so I want to share.

As a beginning, here is one of my more recent custom figures.


Sir Taylor was a high school graduation present for one of our players whose name is Taylor.  Sir Taylor's special powers and stats reflect my friend Taylor's interests and history, both in the game and in real life.  The figure itself is an adapted version of a Dungeons & Dragons Aasimar Fighter (War of the Dragon Queen 01/60).  I added a lance on his back and a shield on his arm because I couldn't see a dragon slayer going into combat without a shield.

We've only played with Sir Taylor once so far, with not-so-great success (no dragons killed) but the opponents caught him in engagement to prevent him from using any of his cool dragon-slaying powers.  Opponents are so irritating that way.

I will also be posting pictures of boards that I build and scenarios that I develop, and who knows what else.  I encourage interaction and feedback on actual game play of any of my custom units, should you choose to try them out.  Pointing customs is an educated guessing system, and doesn't always work well the first (or second) time around.

I hope you will find this blog beneficial to your game play.  Happy Scaping!

No comments:

Post a Comment