Thursday, November 10, 2011

Dragon's Lair

So a couple of days ago, while searching for something else, I ran across a quote that I really liked.  As far as I have found it's not attributable to anyone in particular, but I liked it so much that I created a poster with it and hung it up in the garage by the game table.  Here's the poster:


I've always loved dragons, so consequently, dragons are some of my favorite Heroscape figures. Not Braxas, though.  I hate that dragon!  Whenever I'm playing against her, she always kills me in a big way.  Last time it was Parker decimating my heroes with her acid breath.  I hate that dragon!  I hate her! 

Braxas notwithstanding though, I do like the dragons.  They are some of my favorite figures to customize for Heroscape.  So, inspired by my new dragon poster hanging in our "game room", I thought this week I'd post a couple of my custom dragons for you.

The first is one that got some play in our 3rd Annual Halloween Heroscape Event.  His name is Rotscale.  He's one of the more unusaul dragons in my collection because he's an undead dragon.


Rotscale was created by a simple modification of the Marro figure Su-Bak-Na.  I cut the Marro Su-Bak-Na off and painted any remnants white.  Simple, huh? 

Rotscale has been play tested a few times and has proven to be an effective figure.  I particularly like his Flesh-Rotting Infection.  It'll kill your opponent off, but if you're not careful, your opponent's figure might kill you off before you die.  I use whatever kind of markers we have that aren't being used at the time (usually Morsbane's brown negation markers or the black round markers).  Rotscale is a perfect dragon to add a little more firepower to an undead/zombie/skeleton kind of game...or any game, really. 
                                                                                    

The second dragon I'd like to present is the dragon overlord Khellendros.


Khellendros is one of my more recent custom dragons.  With the cessation of producation of Heroscape, I found a huge, gaping, blue hole in the chromatic dragon category, so I decided to rectify the situation by repainting an extra Charos I had sitting around.  Charos doesn't get a lot of play in my house, so I didn't really need the extra one.

Khellendros takes the fledgling lightning breath of the Blue Wyrmling and extends it to an adult-sized special power.  I started Khellndros prior to the release of the Blue Wyrmlings and had developed a more complicated lightning breath power, but after the release of the wyrmlings, I felt compelled to keep Khellendros' power in conformity with theirs.  Khellendros isn't too complicated (or creative, for that matter) of a figure, but he fills a void in my dragon collection.
                                                                                   

One of the other ways I've added to my collection is through a pair of squads of smaller dragons.


I remember in the movie Reign of Fire, there was one big dragon and a bunch of smaller ones.  All the dragons (prior to the wyrmlings) were so huge, and I wanted to try and develop some smaller dragons to be able to use in conjunction with the huge ones. 

These Dragon Warriors are modified versions of Bakugan figures (horns cut off and painted metallic copper with light green).  I only have 2 squads of them because they stopped making the Bakugan figures I used and I couldn't find any more to modify.

With their Double Team Special Attack, they can pack a pretty good punch from range, and their Air Superiority makes them particularly dangerous against Kyrie and other dragons.
                                                                                   

The last dragon I'll post today is actually one of the first custom dragons I made.  I've made several custom variations by repainting Mimring, and this one is probably my favorite.  It's Glaurung.



True, Glaurung (of Silmarilion fame) wasn't strictly a flying dragon, but what's a little creative license among friends.  Glaurung's Golden Glare 10 has hypnotized many a Hero on the field of battle.  With a slightly better than 50/50 shot, it's a pretty safe bet you'll get the chane to use it more than once.  Oh, the power of temporary mind control (Thank you, Dr. Doom).
                                                                                   

I have lots more custom dragons in my Battle Chest...more repaints of Mimring, other dragon figures I've found in the Dungeons & Dragons line, as well as a few others.  I like the dragons.  J.P. suggested one day that we create a dragon-morphing glyph, and so the Glyph of Morgoth was born.






Oddly enough, J.P. always seems to find it and turn some minisule, low-pointed squad figure into a great, big dragon.  He also always seems to give lots of trouble to Taylor right afterwards (hence the creation of Sir Taylor from my first blog entry).

I hope you enjoy my dragons as much as I enjoy them.







1 comment:

  1. You can take off the wings while using Mimring as Glaurung, and delete the fliying ability from the card.

    ReplyDelete